Last week, we welcomed three new members to the OpenView team. This is the first of a three part Q&A series to introduce you to each of these new team members and to get to know them a little bit better.
Nick Hammerschlag is an Associate on OpenView’s investment team. Nick recently relocated to Boston from New York City, where he was an Analyst in the Financial Restructuring Group at Houlihan Lokey. Nick graduated from Columbia University with an AB in History, and is conversational in Mandarin Chinese. Now for our Q&A…
10 Questions with Nick Hammerschlag - OpenView Venture Partners, Associate
1. Tell us about yourself—Twitter style (in 140 characters or less).N: Born and raised New Yorker recently transplanted in Boston. Passion for all things entrepreneurial, education, technology, health and wellness, and espionage (just reading about it, not doing it!). I’m also a serious foodie and lover of music. Getting married in June!
[Editor's note: It appears that Nick needs a Twitter lesson... I expect him to receive a meeting invitation from Corey O'Loughlin in 10, 9, 8...]
2. What are you most looking forward to about working on OpenView’s investment team?N: I’m excited to learn a ton, invest in and help build great companies, and surround myself with such smart people.
3. What market segments are you most interested in exploring for potential investments?N: I am seriously interested in education technology and see a ton of opportunity for OpenView to make some terrific investments and help build great companies in this sector.
4. What is your top source for news?N: Wall Street Journal, Drudge Report, and the New York Times for general news. TechCrunch and Mashable are my go-to resources for general technology/start-up news.
5. What is the last book you read?N: I just finished two: A Voice from Old New York by Louis Auchincloss and Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh.
6. If you had to eat one type of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?N: Without a doubt sushi. I could eat sushi for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the rest of my life. I crave sushi when I’m hungover-is that weird?
7. Boston winter weather: worse than expected or not all it’s cracked up to be?N: It’s worse than expected and definitely all it’s cracked up to be.
8. What is your favorite neighborhood in Boston so far?N: The South End seems to have the most interesting concentration of restaurants and that’s the way to my heart. I also think that OpenView’s offices are located in a pretty cool spot.
9. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, which actor would play you in the lead role?N: If the movie was a comedy – Seth Rogen…but maybe a better looking version of Seth Rogen. Not that Seth is bad looking dude, I’d just like to think I’m a better looking one. So maybe Seth Rogen would play an ugly me. If the movie was a drama…Keanu Reaves. Love his stuff!
10. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?N: I wanted to be the only policeman chef firefighter businessman navy seal the world has ever known. That’s one job by the way.
Stay tuned for next week‘s Q&A to get to know more members of the OpenView team!
Subscribe via Email
Sign-up for our Free Weekly Newsletter to get the best news and ideas for building technology companies